History

1886 Founded in 1886 by Masayoshi Oshikawa and W.E. Hoy as Sendai Theological Seminary for the purpose of training Christian preachers.
1891 Renamed Tohoku Gakuin, starts as a college with 2 year preparatory course, 4 year regular course and a Department of Theology.
1949 Tohoku Gakuin College is raised to the status of a university and establishes the Faculty of Letters and Economics based upon the Fundamentals of Education Act and the School Education Act.
1959 Tohoku Gakuin University (TGU) establishes the Night School for the Faculty of Letters and Economics.
1962 TGU opens the Faculty of Engineering in Tagajo.
1964 The Faculty of Letters and Economics is divided into the Faculty of Letters and the Faculty of Economics. The Night School is also divided the same way. In the same year, TGU establishes the Graduate School Division of Letters. In the following years, the other faculties establish divisions in the Graduate School.
1965 TGU opens the Faculty of Law,and becomes the most comprehensive university in the Tohoku region.
1989 TGU establishes the Faculty of Liberal Arts on Izumi campus.
2004 TGU establishes the Law School.
2009 TGU establishes the Faculty of Business Administration and the Faculty of Economics-Department of Co-existing Society Studies
2011 TGU establishes the Faculty of Letters-Department of General Humanities.